Food Sensitivities & Diabetes
Most diabetics are aware that they need to monitor their blood sugar, and definitely avoid food that will cause sugar spikes. But what about food sensitivities? Unfortunately, food related allergies are common in diabetics.
Below you’ll learn about foods that diabetics can have allergies and sensitivities to, unhealthy and healthy foods and the benefits of a Keto diet.
Common food allergies and sensitivities in diabetics
- Hydrogenated fats and oils (trans fats)
Unhealthy fats (trans fats) are commonly found in packaged and processed foods as preservatives and are often labeled as soybean oil, vegetable oil or corn oil. These can inhibit insulin production, which has a major impact on the body. It’s best that diabetics avoid or limit these types of foods.
*To learn more about how proper diet and exercise can make your diabetes more manageable, and possibly reverse, contact our Functional Neurologist today.
Ketogenic diet and diabetes
The Ketogenic diet can have a positive impact for those with diabetes. The reasons being: it limits your meat intake (no fried meat), no sugary foods or drinks, no gluten, no junk food and most importantly it is focused on a low carb and high fat (LCHF) diet.
Benefits of Keto diet
- Weight loss
- Mental performance increases
- Control blood sugar
- Control cholesterol
- Energy booster
- Reduces inflammation in the brain & body
- Improves insulin sensitivity in diabetics
Foods to eat on a keto diet
- Nuts (walnuts, sunflower seeds, almonds)
- Avocados (high in good fat, which is great for the brain!)
- Lots of Vegetables (spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, etc)
- Mild to moderate amounts of organic grass fed meats
- Moderate amounts of healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, wild salmon, avocados, nuts, coconut milk)
More on the Keto Diet
You can learn more about the Ketogenic Diet and it’s benefits from Dr. David Perlmutter.
*If you have diabetes and think you may have food allergies or sensitivities, schedule your free consultation with Dr. Medina at the Bay Area Health & Wellness Center, located in San Jose, CA.
*We strive to ensure each individual has all the knowledge and tools necessary to live a happy and healthy life.