Top 3 reasons why Hypothyroidism is underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed
1) Outdated thyroid testing standards
Did you know mainstream doctors usually only test for 1 or maybe 2 of the many thyroid tests required? Thyroid testings standards are outdated in our society, and unfortunately this is a major cause of ongoing chronic and persistent symptoms in men and women.
Mainstream doctors only test TSH and possibly Free T4, but there are other thyroid markers:
- T3 Uptake
- Total T4
- Total T3 and Free T3
- Free T4
- Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody
- Thyroglobulin Antibody
2) The thyroid can produce common symptoms in men and women
Our thyroid is such a powerful gland, it affects our brain, metabolism, organs, bone growth and everything in between. Due to the entire body being affected by the thyroid, common symptoms—that can be caused by an abundance of health issues—are misdiagnosed. Mainstream doctors will usually just prescribe drugs to fix any of the common symptoms below. Functional neurologists are taught to treat each individual differently, run comprehensive thyroid tests, and provide natural and safe health plans to treat thyroid issues.
Common thyroid symptoms include:
- Chronic constipation
- Anxiety, depression, mood swings
- Tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, muscle pain or joint pain
- Brain fog, poor memory
- Excessive hair loss
- Inability to lose weight or an increase in weight gain
- Cold hands and feet
- Fragile nails
- Crackling or dry skin
Contact Dr. Medina for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss any thyroid issues or concerns.
3) Commonly prescribed medications fail to address the real problem
The most popular and widely used medication prescribed for underactive thyroid problems is Synthroid, also known as Levothyroxine (generic name). Levothyroxine is a T4 hormone replacement, but often Hypothyroid cases are not only due to a T4 deficiency but a T3 deficiency. Simply replacing T4 with medication does nothing to affect its conversion into T3 which occurs largely in the liver and digestive tract and is highly dependent on the quality of your diet and nutritional status. For more detailed information on how the Thyroid makes T4 and naturally convert it into T3, check out Dr. Medina‘s educational video 3 secrets about thyroid dysfunction.
Contact us for your Hypothyroidism concerns
If you’re in the greater San Jose, California area, contact us and we will provide a free 30 minute consultation to discuss any health concerns. If you’re interested you can learn more about our doctor, Ernesto Medina, DC, and read our client’s testimonials.
To learn more about your thyroid, check out our other articles:
- That’s why I have weight loss and emotional distress
- Video of Dr. Medina discussing 3 secrets about thyroid dysfunction
- Do you think you have an underlying thyroid issue?
- One of our patient’s case study and video: A woman’s struggle with undiagnosed Hypothyroidism
- Causes & symptoms of Hyperthyroidism & Hypothyroidism