The important role nutrition plays in mental health in the conventional medical system is a huge subject that gets ignored and is not talked about enough. Most mainstream doctors result to antidepressant medications for their patients as the first line of treatment, rather than trying to identify the possible underlying root cause for their symptoms leading to massive over medication of the population.
Dr. Medina uses a functional medicine approach to learn what nutritional deficiencies can be contributing to poor production of healthy brain chemicals, so that he can create a natural and tailored plan for each person individually. Check out his video at the end of this article to learn more.
“Neurotransmitters are chemicals in the brain that either decrease activation, increase activation, help with moods, sleep, enjoyment, pleasure, and help the brain just shut off at night so you can sleep.”–Dr. Ernesto Medina
Most of the pharmaceuticals that exist today for psychiatric disorders are based around these three neurotransmitters:
- Serotonin: Controls mood, enjoyment in life and sleep
- Dopamine: Controls our ability to focus, gives us drive and motivation in life
- GABA: Our inhibitor for turning off the mind and relaxing
Serotonin deficiency: Common signs and symptoms
- Decrease of pleasure for hobbies, interests, and seeing friends
- Feelings of being overwhelmed all the time, inner rage, or unprovoked anger
- Paranoia or sadness for no apparent reason
- Inability to fall into deep sleep or getting restful sleep at night
Dopamine deficiency: Common signs and symptoms
- Worthlessness, hopelessness
- Inability to finish tasks
- Self-destructive thoughts
- Anger and aggression under stress
The conventional medical system will often prescribe ADD and ADHD medications for children who can’t focus or sit still. These medications activate the same parts of the brain that dopamine does to improve focus, drive and motivation.
GABA deficiency: Common signs and symptoms
- Anxiety, nervousness, panic
- Restless mind
- Overwhelmed and disorganized attention
- Guilt for no reason
Anti-anxiety medications known as benzodiazepine medications like Xanax and Valium are designed to upregulate or activate GABA receptors.
Set up your free consultation
Dr. Ernesto Medina, who focuses in Functional Neurology and Functional medicine, may be able to help you reduce chronic anxiety and depression symptoms. Using the latest research in nutrition, immunology, and neurology, he will tailor a personalized plan that yields the fastest results for you. Contact us today to set up your free consultation with him.
Watch Dr. Medina’s Functional Medicine Approach to Mental Health video
In his video he discusses how the three important neurotransmitters can help manage symptoms, improve recovery, and decrease reliance on a lot of medications (like antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and more).
Also, he discusses the Brain-Gut Axis, the unique connection that exists between the digestive tract and the brain. Therefore, the foods we put into our system affect our brain as well as our gut. Check it out: